14th International Congress of Promotion of Fruits and Vegetables Consumption.
Tuxtla Gutierrez-Chiapas-Mexico 8-10 October 2018
One third of the food produced for human consumption is lost or wasted around the world, equivalent to about 1,300 tons per year.
Food is lost or wasted throughout the entire supply chain, from initial agricultural production to final household consumption.
Food losses represent a waste of resources and inputs used in production, such as land, water and energy, unnecessarily increasing emissions of greenhouse gases (FAO, 2011).
The reduction of food losses and waste attracts a growing interest and raises worldwide actions. Governments, research institutions, producers, distributors, retailers and consumers have different approaches to the problem, its solutions and the ability to make changes.
Hunger remains one of the most urgent development challenges, but the world produces more than enough food. The SAVE FOOD initiative, led by FAO, collaborates with international organizations, the private sector and civil society to enable food systems to reduce food waste and losses, both in developing countries and in the industrialized world.
That is why the 5aDay Foundation A.C., focused on improving the eating habits of the population of Mexico, promoting the consumption of fruits and vegetables through the “5 x Day” program, with the support of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fishing and Food for the fourth time in the 14th International congress of Promotion of Fruit and Vegetable consumption, on October 9th and 10th of 2018.
The Congress will the count with the participation of representatives of international organizations such as United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, the Panamerican Health Organization, the Interamerican Institute for cooperation on Agriculture – IICA, Federal and Local government officials, representatives of 30 member countries of global alliance for the promotion of Fruit and Vegetable consumption 5aDay AIAM5, among others.
A capacity of 800 people from different sectors is expected: producers, nutritionists, academics, legislators, high-level officials and, of course, representatives of 30 countries, made up of members of AIAM5 and invited countries; with the objective of exchanging experiences and strategies between the different links of the productive and health chain, related to the promotion of fruit and vegetable consumption.
The Global Alliance for the Promotion of Fruit and Vegetable consumption 5aDay AIAM5 and the 5xDay Foundation are committed to the Save Food initiative of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, so this time the 14th International congress of promotion to the consumption of Fruits and Vegetables will have as main theme: Waste, waste of fruits and vegetables and its consequences in the economic, productive, healthm environmental and education environment.
Objectives of the Congress:
- Offer a plural open space to Exchange experiences and strategies among the different sectors related to the promotion of mexican fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Sensitize governments, the fruit and vegetable sector and consumers of the serious problem posed by the waste of food, especially fruit and vegetables, in food security and global economies, as well as its negative impact on the sustainability of the planet´s natural resources.
- Strengthen intersectoral alliances to promote the consumption of fruits and vegetables and thereby contribute to the reduction of waste.
- Bring together the different sectors involved in the problem, for the exchange of experiences, success stories and possible solutions.
- Strengthen an international network to reduce loss and waste.
Venue: MARRIOTT Hotel www.marriott.com/tgzmc
For registration please contact us email@example.com (0155) 90000258 / 90000925