In Paraguay, according to the First National Survey of Risk Factors for Noncommunicable Diseases 2011 (Ministry of Public Health and Social Welfare), only 15% of the population consumes the recommended daily amount of fruits and vegetables. With the aim of contributing to the achievement of national goals, born the Association for the Promotion of the Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables’ 5 a day Paraguay “, a non-profit entity with legal personality and full capacity to act whose main purpose is to promote the daily consumption of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables in the Paraguayan population. This project is being driven by nutritionists Gabriela Fretes and Natalie Rios and supported by Ing. Monica Gavilan.
• To promote healthy lifestyles
• Contribute to improved eating habits and increased consumption of fruits and vegetables in
Paraguay as a protective factor for reducing the burden of chronic noncommunicable diseases
• Develop and promote the Movement’s image around the concept “Eat 5 or more servings of
fruits and vegetables is good for your health”
• Collect and disseminate scientific information.
• Strengthen the link with international organizations and at national level
• Mass media campaigns.
• Movements participate in activities with common international purposes.
• Consultancies to personal and professional fruit and vegetable sector and agro food, in various
areas such as innovation, health, value chain, etc.
If we work closely and joining our voices, we will be a large group that can make the current situation better and can come to instill that change in eating habits that much needed.