General WUWM Info
The World Union of Wholesale Markets (WUWM) is a non-profit association that aims to promote the international exchange of information on wholesale and retail markets, with a view to improving their construction, organisation and management.
- Legal Seat: From 1955 until mid 2003 WUWM within the legal umbrella of IULA
- In June 2003 established as an autonomous association, domiciled in The Netherlands
- Secretariat: The WUWM Secretariat is based in The Hague, The Netherlands
- Board: Chairman, vice-Chairman and 11 Directors representing 13 countries. Two-year mandates. Annual, staggered elections.
- Membership: Currently 228 members in 43 countries
- Funding:WUWM is a non-profit association totally reliant on annual membership fee payments.
Who Do We Unite?
- Retail Markets-An ‘organisation’ which has a core business of operating retail markets. An ‘organisation’ can be a public or privateretail market operator or an association of cities and/or operators
- Wholesale Markets-Individual markets or market organizations directly involved in the operation and management of local-authority owned, state-ownedand/orprivatewholesale markets
- National market trader organisations
- Individual wholesale/retail market traders
- Other sector professionals, academics, consultants, private service companies, etc
The WUWM Mission…
- To promote the essential role that wholesale and retail markets play in ensuring the sustainable access, availability and distribution of a diverse variety of quality fresh food products, whilst maintaining
- competitive prices and the highest standards of service and food security, throughout the international community.
What is the WUWM Vision?
- To ensure wholesale and retail markets are recognised for their important role in local, national and international food supply chains.
- That WUWM be viewed as the premier organisation in support of wholesale and retail food marketpromotion and development by offering excellence in:
- Information exchange, networking, and cross-fertilization of wholesaleand retail market knowledge.
- Member development of new business through promoting mutual links, establishing contacts, and helping members enlarge their respective client and supply bases.
- To ensure effective representation in support of the interests of wholesale and retail markets before international institutions, national and local governments.
How WUWM Helps Members
- We empower you and your market by keeping you informed -helping to ensure your voice, your market’s voice, and your country’s voice are heard;
- We support solutions being found to problems bigger than we all are…!
- We promote your business (marketing the market and the market trader);
- WUWM works on issues to protect the future of your business(prices, investment, modernisation, policies);
- WUWM membership unifies and strengthens the market industry at all levels against its competitors -your competitors!
Where is WUWM Today?
- Europe 136 Members / 22 Countries
- Asia 27 Members / 7 Countries
- The America’s 35 Members / 9 Countries
- Africa and Middle East 11 Members / 3 Countries
- Oceania 6 Members / 1 Country
What are WUWM’s Goals?
- To develop and promote the international exchange of information on wholesale and retail markets
- To lobby national, regional and international decision-makers on behalf of wholesale and retail markets
- To participate in the activities and issues of wholesale and retail markets, production markets or markets at point of origin
- To exchange experiences, skills, knowledge and expertise to benefit WUWMmembers and the food sector
- To develop and promote the relationship between market management and traders, as well as consolidate ties with upstream/downstream stakeholders
In achieving those goals we…
- Identify, strengthen and mobilize the capabilities of our member markets and national associations in key areas of common concern and action
- Develop opportunities to increase communication and cooperationbetween market authorities and stakeholders;
- Promote the social, economic and environmental benefits marketsgive to
- their cities and communities;
- Establish linksand developcollaboration with key players;
- Offer the main international platform for information exchange, networking, andcross-fertilizationof market knowledge;
- Promote and develop best practice within the market sector;
- Support member markets through the challenges of modernisation and service provision by actively and collectively participating in problem solving.
Core WUWM Activities
- International Market Conferences
- Annual conferences (combining wholesale and retail)
- Annual LYLM International Celebration
- Regional working groups and activities (Asia-Pacific, the America’s and Europe)
- Lobbying (at regional & international levels)andPromotion(e.g. WUWM Awards)
- Thematic working groups and activities:
- Retail Markets
- Food Safety and Hygiene
- Waste Management & Environment
- Market Data Collection
- Marketing the Market
- Information Exchange &Member Support (e.g. market visits, reports, access)